Google
 

Monday, August 06, 2007

BlaZing ToRrent!

After hearing the outcry of many regarding torrent downloads, i decided to post how you could increase your torrent speeds just by tweaking a few simple things. In the past versions of Utorrent, most of the settings had to be tweaked to get optimize settings. But in the latest Utorrent V1.7.2, not much tweaking is required.

For those who are new to torrent downloads you may learn a thing or two from this post.
There are many torrent clients out there, The Pioneer would be Bit-torrent, there is also the classy Azureus, But the David of torrent clients would definitely have to be Utorrent. Why David? Well David was small in built compared to Goliath, yet with his sling he manage to put the heavy giant down. And thats what Utorrent is capable of doing. All you need is that sling! :)

One of the first few things you should do is to download TcpOptimizer. This program allows you to optimize your internet connection. What this means in layman terms is that it allows you to optimize you upload rate, thus with a good upload rate while using utorrent your download rate will increase automatically! But if your using any other tcp optimizing software feel free to use it, its all roughly the same. But my recommendation would be TcpOptimizer.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Second, after doing that now is time i hand you your sling to slay the giant!
Well its simple, you need to port forward. This is a MUST. Without port forwarding you will never get a high download or upload rate! I found this site which could help you a lot. Its called www.portforward.com They have all types of router models, and all the application software which you wish to forward the port!
All you have to do is select your router model and the software application, and they will guide you step by step on how to port forward. Well but for me in Malaysia, I was not able to follow one crucial step which is to create a Static I.P address. I thought it was a bummer, i asked around and everyone said that the only way to port forward is to create a Static I.P.I contacted my service provider, and they said that I'd have to buy the Static I.P at a hefty cost. So not wanting to fork out any money i decide to play around and tweak my router and it worked. And then i realized that its the same as having a Static I.P only thing is that I'd just have to forward All the dynamic I.P address meaning, 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255. and bang! i have my self a sling. So for those of you who cant create a Static I.P don't worry, just follow the instructions in portforward.com but instead of following the Static I.P just forward the dynamic I.p which i stated! But the only bummer of this is that each time you want to download you'd have to port forward all the ports in contrast to a Static I.P where you don't have to do it repetitively.

Now another thing which you have to do, if your using a windows firewall, I'd suggest to download a personal firewall, or if thats too much of a hassle, just switch off the windows firewall. Windows firewall is a major culprit in lagging download rates,
I haven't experienced it with other personal firewalls, but with Windows a BIG YES. They lag download and upload rates a lot. So just go over to the control panel and switch it of when your downloading torrent. Do not worry, most routers have built in firewalls so you'll still be protected!

The suggested port to forward would be 45682. Other then that, in the latest version of utorrent all you have to do is select your broadband speed and the speedguide would calculate the settings for you saving you precious time unlike the previous versions.
Utorrent is only 0.21mb and it doesn't hog your resource. It just sits there and works quietly in the background.

Well other minor factors to look for would be, even though David slayed Goliath, i don't think he would of been able to cope with two armoured giants. So the same goes for Utorrent. Just download ONE file at a time. Don't rush! Always look for files with high seeds and lower leecher ratios. Lastly, to the torrent community, Always share, you will notice that its in giving that we receive! heheh...Cheers!
Do let me know if you have other ways to increase your torrent speeds!

Digg this

No comments: